Skip to content

The future of Multifl0w?

People miss the cards style multitasking.

So do I, so I’m going to bring it back to the iPhone.

In fact, I’ve been keeping a secret; it’s in beta. Right now. I’d been wanting card switching on 4.x for a while now, and had rewritten Multifl0w from scratch to run with improved speed expandability. But I wanted something different, which is why I made the Exposé style first. I absolutely love the one-tap-away ability of it.

If you haven’t seen the Exposé style switching, here’s a picture (maybe this will keep your attention):

But there was a problem: it didn’t scale well for tons of apps. I don’t mind this at all; I have around 4 apps that I use on a regular basis (don’t worry, the compass in the picture is not one of them), and that’s it. But people seem to really miss this. They’re dying to have more than 9 apps visible at the same time. If you’re one of these people: you’re awesome.

I want to make something you’ll love. I want Multifl0w to be a reason to jailbreak, and something that makes those “open platform phone” users jealous because they don’t have cool stuff like this. Perhaps Apple will even take note. After all, they’ve taken after the jailbreak scene in copy/paste, spell checking, rotation inhibitor, and “backgrounding”. Heck, jailbreakers even had third party apps before an official version came to the masses.

Anyway, it’s coming along well so far. It’ll be done when it’s done, but I’m guessing a mid-January release.

Pics or it didn’t happen:

Also, it’s really cool on an iPad :)

Edit: Just to clarify, the Expose mode will still remain an option.

14 Comments

1. Max wrote:

Dude that is so amazing!

When chpwn/rpetrich dropped ProSwitcher I was so sad but this just made my day. You win 1 internet. :D

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 21:39 | Permalink
  2. Zachary wrote:

Here’s to hoping for a free update to multifl0w :-O

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 21:42 | Permalink
  3. curdriceaurora wrote:

I hope the current approach still remains as a choice. I never liked the card approach because it has the alt-tab feel to it and takes a whole lost longer. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I bring up expose on Ubuntu and try to touch the screen to go to the app/desktop. The legibility for the 3×3 grid is certainly low but for apps that I have been recently used the screenshot recall is better and thus easier to get back to. My request would be to leave it as an option and not totally go back to the cards.

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 22:01 | Permalink
  4. Karl wrote:

Very excited about this update, this is what I’ve been looking for in this app. :)

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 22:08 | Permalink
  5. Mr. Black wrote:

You’re awesome, dude! Will we be able to hide those red x’s, though, and swipe to close?

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 22:51 | Permalink
  6. Adrian97c wrote:

Great news!!

Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 23:41 | Permalink
  7. Stevenn7 wrote:

Mid-january? Feels so long away :( need any beta testers?

Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 03:34 | Permalink
  8. Krytsuga wrote:

This is amazing been waiting a long time for this since I first jailbroke my i4

Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 03:48 | Permalink
  9. Jambo wrote:

@MR. BLACK – +1 for swipe to close! That was another neat feature of ProSwitcher.

@STEVENN7 – Mid January isn’t that far away. In development terms it’s actually very close considering aaron will probably be taking time off over Christmas/New Year as you most likely are too.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 08:30 | Permalink
  10. Max wrote:

Can we have the ability to use both styles with different activation methods? Like double-click home for original Multifl0w and like shake device for cards style? That would be sick.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 at 19:23 | Permalink
  11. Moz wrote:

Please implement switcher’s media control and orientation lock in multiflow so that it can be a complete replacent of switcher! :-)

Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 02:40 | Permalink
  12. Dave wrote:

Moz +1

Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 17:22 | Permalink
  13. Jerome wrote:

Hi
    First, thanks for Multifl0w, which is really great!
    what would be really great would be the ability to hide some apps. I mean I would like not to be able to close the agenda for instance, it should then not appear on the Multifl0w screen.
    Is this something feasible?
    Thanks!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 at 10:54 | Permalink
  14. AutoEntropy wrote:

The only think I wish multifl0w had was the abilioty to see and touch the icons on the dock when multiple is active. If you can do that it beats everything else hands down.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 12:18 | Permalink